There aren’t many days I’m not reminded how much I love this country. On any given day, you can turn on the news and see people from around the world giving their lives for the basic rights which so many of us take for granted. We are given the right to vote, and to have a say in how we want our country run. We have the freedom to make our own decisions and we are accepting of each other and our differences. We are incredibly fortunate to be living in Canada.
Recently, Gallups “Global Wellbeing Survey” reported that we are the 2nd happiest country in the world (behind Denmark) and why wouldn’t we be?
There are thousands of reasons to love this country. Here are just 40 truly Canadian people, places and things to celebrate.
- Tim Hortons – What would we do without our double doubles and timbits?
- Diversity – We accept others, and embrace our differences.
- Joni Mitchell – An amazing songwriter. Where would we be without “A Case of You” and “Both Sides Now”?
- The beauty of our country – From the Pacific to the Atlantic there is no shortage of spectacular natural beauty.
- Hockey – We love it, period.
- Our manner’s– We’re known all over the world for being polite and gentle.
- Freedom – We are empowered to make our own choices. Many countries around the world are fighting for just this.
- The toque – Every Canuck’s favourite winter accessory.
- Our patriotism – It may not be “in your face” pride, but it’s there.
- Wayne Gretzky – The pride of Brantford, Ontario and amazing Canadian athlete.
- Snow – Love it or hate it, it’s a great conversation starter.
- Global peace keeper – We are a strong supporter of the United Nations and of peacekeeping. We have been apart of almost every mission since the UN’s beginning.
- The Maple Leaf – Our national symbol. It looks great on our caps, t-shirts and backpacks!
- Robert Munsch – From “I love you forever” to “Thomas’ Snowsuit” his children’s books cannot be beat.
- Maple syrup – Pancakes wouldn’t stand a chance without it.
- Terry Fox – Over 25 years after his passing, Terry’s strength and perseverance has raised over $550 million for cancer research.
- Canadian bacon – The movie, or the pork, it’s liked by many.
- Newfoundland– Seafood, Screech, Great Big Sea and our 3rd unofficial language. What’s not to love?
- Michael J. Fox – When faced with a debilitating circumstance, he showed us the power of eternal optimism.
- Inukshuk – The incredible rock balancing act!
- The telephone – Invented by Alexander Grand Bell in 1876.
- Bryan Adams – Let’s be honest, no Canadian can hold back from breaking out into “Summer of 69”.
- “Early” Thanksgiving – Why wait till November like our friends to the south?
- Sidney Crosby – The “Golden Goal” – need I say more?
- "EH" – Say it out loud, and say it proud!
- Leonard Cohen – A remarkable Canadian poet, songwriter and novelist.
- The light bulb – Invented by Henry Woodward & Mathew Evans in 1874.
- In Flander’s Fields – The Remembrance Day poem written in 1915 by John McCrae, on the battlefield of Ypres.
- William Shatner – That’s for all you “trekkies” out there!
- Colourful money – Who says money shouldn’t be pretty?
- Steve Nash – Our homegrown NBA MVP.
- Basketball – Canadian James A. Naismith invented the game in 1891.
- Canadian Bands - Sloan, Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip...we could go on for hours.
- Shania Twain – Everyone’s favourite country vixen, who really does “feel like a woman”.
- Alanis Morisette – If “Jagged Little Pill” taught us nothing else, it’s not to mess with an angry Canadian woman! (Jagged Little Pill sold over 33 million units worldwide).
- Insulin – Discovered at the University of Toronto in 1922 by Frederick Grant Banting and Charles Best.
- Our National Anthem - Whether it's sung in english or french, it's beautiful!
- The Blackberry – Developed by Research in Motion (RIM), the Waterloo, Ontario based company.
- Jim Carey – The king of the “funny face”.
Until next time,
Peace, love and vitamin C!
Jennifer Pretty began her career as the director of artist development for a well-known Canadian music label. Branching out on her own, she then started her own PR business “Pretty Media Management” planning and hosting various charity, entertainment and fashion events. As a dance and fitness class enthusiast Jennifer is a firm believer in the benefits of a healthy, active lifestyle. She also loves to cook, travel, spend time with family and friends and most importantly living life to the fullest!