Favourite Halloween flicks
Halloween is less than a week away! Costume parties, trick-or-treating and pumpkin carving are definitely all fun festive activities, but we certainly can’t forget about our favourite Halloween movies.
Whether you’re in the mood for a gruesome horror film or a family-comedy we’ve compiled a list of our favourite Halloween movies with both adult-only and kid-friendly options. Grab some healthy Halloween treats and don’t forget to turn out the lights to enjoy these classics.
Top Adult Halloween Movies:
- Halloween (1978 – Rated: R): The original, with a very young Jamie Lee Curtis. The “Michael Myers” masks still give me chills.
- Silence of the Lambs (1991 – Rated: R): “A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." Hannibal Lecter.
- Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975 – Rated: R): The film version of the British rock musical stage play.
- The Shining (1980 – Rated: R): A family moves into an isolated hotel for the winter. The father becomes influenced by a supernatural presence and of course madness ensues. “Red rum. Red rum. Red rum.”
- Shaun of the Dead (2004 – Rated: R): A hilarious British “zombie-comedy” starring and co-written by Simon Pegg.
- Poltergeist (1982 – Rated: PG 13): A families home is invaded by malicious ghosts that end up abducting their youngest daughter. “They’re here...”
- The Exorcist (1973 – Rated: R): Is there anything more disturbing than a movie about a demonic child? This classic has been named one of the scariest movies of all time by Entertainment Weekly.
Top Family-Friendly Halloween Movies (older children):
- Beetlejuice (1988 – Rated: PG): A comedy film directed by Tim Burton. A recently deceased couple become ghosts and haunt their former home, when the obnoxious Beetlejuice comes into the picture.
- Ghostbusters (1984 – Rated: PG): “If there's something strange in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!” This science-fiction comedy is definitely a classic.
- Practical Magic (1998 – Rated: PG 13): Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman are sisters who carry a family legacy of witchcraft and misfortune.
- Harry Potter series (2001-2011 – Rated: PG 13): This film series is based on the novels by J.K Rowling, and is the highest grossing film series of all time.
- The Addam’s Family (1991 – Rated PG 13): A dark-comedy based on the cartoon characters created by Charles Addams.
Top Family-Friendly Halloween Movies (young children):
- E.T (1982 – Rated: PG): Co-produced and directed by Steven Spielberg, this movie is about a lonely child who befriends an extraterrestrial that is stranded on earth. This classic was nominated for 9 Oscars.
- Monsters Inc. (2001 – Rated: G): An adorable Disney movie about the “business” of being a monster. This is one of those rare family movies that parents and children will both enjoy.
- The Nightmare before Christmas (1993 – Rated: PG): Produced and co-written by Tim Burton, this film is about Jack Skellington from “Halloween Town” who opens a portal to “Christmas Town”.
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966 – Rated: G): It may not have the sophisticated graphics that today’s children expect, but who doesn’t love Snoopy and Charlie Brown? Join the Peanuts crew as they prepare for Halloween.
- Hocus Pocus (1993 – Rated: PG): Another Halloween-themed film released by Disney. A Halloween-hating teenager resurrects 3 witches; “The Sanderson Sisters”.
- Casper (1995 – Rated: PG): This family-friendly film is based on the “Casper the Friendly Ghost” cartoons and comic books.
Until next time,
Peace, love and vitamin C!
Jennifer Pretty began her career as the director of artist development for a well-known Canadian music label. Branching out on her own, she then started her own PR business “Pretty Media Management” planning and hosting various charity, entertainment and fashion events. As a dance and fitness class enthusiast Jennifer is a firm believer in the benefits of a healthy, active lifestyle. She also loves to cook, travel, spend time with family and friends and most importantly living life to the fullest!