Butterflied grilled chicken with a chile-lime rub
What's a healthy recipe using chicken and lime?
A healthy chicken recipe the whole family will love.
- 3 tablespoons chili powder, preferably New Mexico chili, or Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken
- Combine chili powder (or paprika) and oil in a small bowl with lime zest and juice, garlic, coriander, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cinnamon to form a wet paste.
- Using kitchen shears, cut the chicken down one side of the backbone, through the ribs. Make an identical cut on the opposite side to remove the backbone completely; discard (or reserve it for stock). Place the chicken cut-side down and flatten with the heel of your hand. Generously smear the spice rub under and over the skin and on the interior of the bird. Place in a nonreactive baking dish (see Tip). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat half the grill to medium-high (or build a medium-high heat fire on one side of a charcoal grill); leave the other half unheated. Have a squirt bottle of water ready by the grill.
- Leave all the spice rub on the chicken. Place the chicken skin-side down over the heat and grill until the skin begins to color and char marks form, about 5 minutes. (Extinguish any flare-ups with the squirt bottle.) Flip over and grill 5 minutes more. Move the chicken to the unheated side. Close the lid and cook, making sure the chicken is flat against the grate, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving.
Per serving (without skin): 214 calories; 9 g fat ( 2 g sat , 5 g mono ); 88 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 422 mg sodium; 417 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (25% daily value)
Lower Sackville Family Care Centre is located inside the Atlantic Superstore on Sackville Street in Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia. The clinic is committed to providing high quality, medical care in a clean and friendly environment with added convenience. Our clinic provides walk-in style medical service where patients can be treated by a qualified health care team. We understand our patients’ needs and treat all with care and respect.