Dr. Adeola Mead provides various natural therapies, naturopathic treatments and wellness programs to Vancouver and the surrounding area's. Dr. Mead is currently accepting new patients.
Dr. Adeola Mead, Naturopathic Physician, has been surrounded by natural medicine throughout her life. She comes from a long line of indigenous healers and philosophers. She was raised on folk medicine and wanted to be a doctor from before she can remember!
Her philosophy is simple: Self care, then health care. Her goal is to find and treat root causes of illness and then empower patients with the knowledge of what is going on in their bodies and how to maintain wellness in mind, body and spirit.
Thorough Health History
- The initial intake with Dr.Mead, Naturopathic Doctor, includes a detailed history. She takes the time to find out about your family history, your lifestyle, the stressors in your life, past medical history, history of accidents or injuries and the significant events in your life that have affected your health or well being.
- Understanding your nutritional status, eating habits and patterns and the type of food that you eat on a regular is an important part of the naturopathic assessment. Dr. Mead will assess the impact that diet is having on health and your body's ability to handle the food that you are eating.
- Dr. Mead is trained to do complete physical exams as use them as a standard part of an assessment. As your health changes or as acute situations arise, she will use aspects of the physical examination to aid in diagnosis and assessment of your health concerns. Having a complete physical exam on yearly basis is an essential part preventative health care.
Comprehensive Laboratory Testing
- Laboratory testing, including urine analysis, blood work and saliva testing, is an essential aspect of a complete medical assessment. Dr. Mead uses standard laboratory testing to provide them with further information for a complete assessment. She also offers Allergy Testing, Heavy Metal Screening, Salivary Hormone Testing and Comprehensive Stool Analysis.
- Nutrition and the therapeutic use of foods is a cornerstone of naturopathic medicine. Food intolerances, deficiencies, dietary imbalances or nutritional excesses have been associated with many medical conditions. A naturopathic doctor is trained to understand the impact that your diet is having on your health. With appropriate dietary modification and nutritional supplements health concerns can be treated with fewer complications and side effects.
- Medicinal plants have been, and will continue to be a valuable part of health care. These plants and plant substances are highly effective and safe in the right dosage and when used correctly with other herbs and treatments. Herbs can be prepared in many forms - teas, tinctures or capsules. Naturopathic doctors are extensively trained in both the art and science of botanical medicine. Naturopathic doctors are currently the only health care providers in Canada to be licensed for the use of botanical medicine.
- This powerful system of medicine is more than 200 years old and is widely accepted in many countries. Homeopathic remedies are made from specific dilutions of plant, animal and mineral substances. When carefully matched to the patient they are able to affect the body's "vital force" and to stimulate the body's innate healing forces on both the physical and emotional levels, with few side effects. Some conditions that do not respond well to conventional medicine respond effectively to homeopathy.
- Physical medicine offers treatment for many different health concerns. Treatments can include soft tissue work (including therapeutic massage), naturopathic manipulation of muscle, bone or the spine, hydrotherapy techniques, gentle electrical impulses, ultrasound, diathermy, and exercise therapy.
Prevention and Lifestyle Counselling
- Mental attitudes and emotional states are important elements in healing and disease. Addressing all aspects of a person's life, identifying and addressing the impact that stress and life events have on a patient's health is an important aspect of naturopathic treatment. Naturopathic doctors are trained to counsel on diet, lifestyle, specific stressors, exercise and occupational or environmental hazards as an integral part of the naturopathic treatment program.
Other Natural Therapies
- Intravenous (IV) Vitamin Therapy, Meyer's Cocktails, Vitamin B12 injections
- This is a therapy based on the theory that past injuries can affect the electrochemical functioning of tissues. Anesthetics are injected into scars or skin to remove electrical interference in the nervous system.
- A gentle, hands-on method of evaluating and enhancing the functioning of a physiological body system called the craniosacral system - comprised of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord. It is helpful for migraines, neck/back pain, colic, chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia, emotional difficulties,and TMJ among other ailments.
Enhanced External Counterpulsation (EECP) Therapy
- A non-invasive treatment, clinically proven to be safe and beneficial in the treatment of angina and congestive heart failure. Approximately 80% of patients who complete the 35-hour course of EECP experience significant symptom relief that may last up to three years.
Health and Wellness Programs
- Diabetes and Cardiovascular Health
- Weight Loss
- Comprehensive Women's Health care
- Preconception and Fertility Care
- Stress Management
- Immune Wellness
- Smoking Cessation