Some people are just blessed with them, but they tend to be in the minority. For those of us that want to have healthier and stronger nails, it can feel like it’s a hopeless cause. Many people wish to have longer nails or at least make them stronger, and fortunately it may be much easier than you might think.
If you feel as though you are constantly having breakage or chips then it’s time to focus on some of the most effective tips. Simply changing up the way you do things or paying closer attention to a specific aspect of your hygiene can really make a difference. None of these methods cost much in terms of money or even time, but they can make a huge difference on your nails in the long run.
1. Get more Vitamin E and Vitamin B: Many people recognize that Vitamin E is good for hair and nails, so it's a tried and true method. Part of the value within Vitamin E is that it helps to rebuild tissue within the body, and that is particularly true in the case of healthy skin, hair, and nails. Adding a Vitamin E supplement can work tremendously well. What many people don’t realize is that Vitamin B can work well too. Vitamin B can help to boost your levels of keratin which is the substance found within nails.
2. Keep your nails protected from the elements: This is not only in the cold temperatures, but inside your home as well. You never want your nails to be subjected to extreme temperatures or circumstances. Obviously wear gloves on the cold days, but think about how to apply this inside the home as well. Put on latex gloves when you are cleaning, particularly during an activity that involves a lot of water such as doing dishes. That way your nails are always protected and they never retain too much water within them.
3. Massage the nails: You probably enjoy massage as a whole, but probably never thought about it for the nails. This is an excellent way of jumpstarting circulation which is often not so great at the site of the nails. Do be diligent to massage the nails, particularly with a good lotion or moisturizer each night before you go to bed. This can be of great help in keeping them growing healthy and strong.
4. Be sure that you keep them hydrated: As you give yourself a nightly nail massage you may find that petroleum jelly is the substance of choice .Though you never want to saturate the nails with too much water, you will find that proper hydration works wonders. It can help to protect the nails and keep the nail beds from drying out as this is a common cause for breakage.
5. Trim them properly: Take your time and be sure to cut straight across. Far too many of us rush through the trimming and leave uneven ends. Not only can this result in ingrown toenails and the potential for a tear, but it can cause the nails to grow unevenly. Take your time, be careful about cutting straight, and never cut too short.
All of these tips will ensure that you end up with healthier nails. They will add strength and allow your nails to grow like you never imagined possible!
The Health Local Staff is a team of writers and experts dedicated to bringing you the latest health, nutrition and lifestyle information at www.healthlocal.ca.