It’s hard to think of sugar as “toxic” when it tastes so good. These scary facts on sugar just may be the wakeup call you need to not only see just how bad for you it really is, but also how much of it you’re really consuming.
10 Scary Facts on Sugar
1. Sugar has been linked to all kinds of health issues, including: insomnia, dizziness, tooth decay, obesity, cancer of the pancreas and colon, Type II diabetes, metabolic syndrome, hair loss, ADD, ADHD, manic depression, and much more.
2. Most adults are consuming around 22 teaspoons of sugar a day even though the recommendations are a maximum of 6 per day for women and 9 for men.
3. Most children consume approximately 32 teaspoons of sugar every day!
4. A Princeton University study found that sugar is not only addictive, but it also creates a response in the brain similar to heroin or other drug abuse.
5. Low-fat foods tend to be high in sugar. This is because sugar is used to help enhance the flavour.
6. If you quit sugar cold turkey, you’ll experience withdrawal symptoms similar to those that a drug addict or alcoholic experiences when they go without their ‘fix’. These include: fatigue, restlessness, headaches, and the shakes.
7. Sugar can make you age faster because it interferes with circulation causing dry skin, wrinkles, tooth problems, and other signs of aging.
8. You’re eating more sugar than you may even realize because it’s hidden in many of the foods you eat, including those that don’t taste sweet at all. There are high amounts of sugar in buns and breads, ketchup, pasta sauce, mayo, French fries, and more.
9. Just the added sugar found in the foods that many people eat on a daily basis is responsible for close to 500 calories of their daily intake.
10. Refined sugars contain no nutritional value whatsoever and are even worse for you than not eating at all because they deplete vitamin B and cause a myriad of health problems.
Consider these scary facts before you reach for that can of soda pop or add another spoon of sugar to your coffee. Chances are that you’re already getting far more sugar than you even realize.