Enjoy these muffin recipes without the guilt or the added inches to your waistline.
Muffins are one of those true delights; they are great for breakfast, with coffee, for kids, with friends, and yet their high sugar and calorie levels often make them off-limits for those trying to keep their weight in check.
Today all of that changes! Lets take a look at a couple of fantastic muffin recipes that will allow you to enjoy the delight without feeling guilty or adding inches to that waistline!
Honey Apple Spice Muffins
- Half an apple (which you will peel, and then remove the core)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ of a cup of skim or plain soy milk
- 3 tbs of pure, preferably organic honey
- 1 tsp 100% pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbs of baking powder
- 2 ½ of cake flour
- ½ tsp (or less) of salt
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar (granulated is fine, brown is healthier)
- ½ cup butter (make sure it’s cold and unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C. Next, spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- With your food processor, mince the apple for about 20 seconds. Scoop it all out and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, with a mixer, blend the sugar and butter with until smooth. Continua mixing, add the eggs, vanilla, milk, and honey until blended well. Gradually add the dry ingredients: the cake flower, baking powder, salt, and your spices, and mix until just combined. Add apple junks to the entire mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently scrape the batter into tin, and bake approximately 22 minutes. Use a knife or a toothpick to poke. If it comes out clean, your muffins are ready. Let cool slightly before removing to a cooking rack.
These muffins are great for freezing.
Orange Cranberry Muffins
- Frozen concentrated orange juice
- Granulated (or preferably brown) sugar
- 2 and ½ cups of flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 cup (or more, depending on taste) of chopped pecans
- Zest from one orange
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 2/3 of a cup of (freshly squeezed tastes best) orange juice
- 2 medium to large eggs
- ¼ cup of vegetable, peanut or safflower oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp (or less) of salt
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/3 of a cup sugar (granulated is fine, brown is healthier)
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray, and preheat oven to 375°F (or 190°C).
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of your concentrate and ½ teaspoon of your brown sugar into each muffin space. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine your flour, salt, sugar, salt, baking soda and the baking powder, zest and pecans. In the center of your mixture, create a well and then set aside.
- In another bowl, with a whisk, combine the your cranberry sauce, lemon and orange juices, with your oil and eggs. Add all of this to your flour mixture and stir in quickly, so it’s all blended.
- Pour batter into muffin spaces, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops become golden brown. Remove from the oven, and let everything cool slightly, then turn pan upside-down, allowing concentrate mixture on top.