TCM Recommendations For The 10 Lunar Months Of Pregnancy
TCM Pregnancy Tips
- 1st month: Barley & easily digested cooked foods are best, stay calm, do not work too much, avoid fear, excess cold or heat.
- 2nd month: Avoid spicy hot foods, excessive exercise or sexual activity, excessive cold or hot temperatures.
- 3rd month: Meat and fish, resting, meditation, good sleep.
- 4th month: Brown rice, fish, eating in moderation.
- 5th month: Sleeping long hours, taking naps, staying warm, eating oats, and mix sweet & sour foods. Some examples; sour: grapefruit, olives. Sweet: rice, potato, nuts, meat, legumes, fruit, honey, apples.
- 6th month: Fresh air and daily walks, eating wild game and root vegetables.
- 7th month: Bone soups, stretching gentle yoga.
- 8th month: Practice deep breathing, stay calm and avoid stress or anger.
- 9th month: Stay dry and avoid damp areas or eating sweets.
- 10th month: Avoid salty food, mediate with both hands on the Dan Tian ara where the fetus is.
Foods Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
- Folate rich foods: leafy green vegetables, asparagus, citrus fruits, dried beans, peas.
- Iron-rich foods: lean red meat, poultry, fish, beans, dark leafy greens, artichokes, prunes. Dietary iron is more easily absorbed with vitamin C, such as, citrus fruits, and tomatoes.
- Calcium-rich foods: kefir, goat cheese, sardines, white beans, white and black sesame seeds, okra, collard greens.
- Vitamin D rich foods: mackerel, salmon, whitefish, sardines, portobello mushrooms (exposed to UV light), eggs (soft boil or soft poach is best to get the good fat from the yolk).
- Rest, no sexual intercourse 8 weeks.
- Abdominal binding: day 2 after vaginal birth, day 6 after C-Section.
- Avoid drinking cold water & cold food.
- No bathing or swimming (shower only).
- Avoid draft and cold air.
- No lifting heavy objects.
Avoid Cold Temperatures: After giving birth, a woman has lost a lot of blood. In TCM theory, blood and Qi, or vital life energy, are linked; the loss of blood leads to the loss of Qi. The mother is therefore weak and very vulnerable to catching a cold. At this time it is easy for cold to penetrate deep into the meridians. This condition could later lead to symptoms such as pain in the muscles or joints, or a type of nerve pain. Where the pain develops is where the cold remained in the body. Even in summer, a new mother would be advised to take care not to expose herself to cold conditions.
Victoria Pumphrey is a Registered Acupuncturist, Certified Reflexologist, Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Reiki/ Energy Worker. Helping clients with needs and goals using a combined approach for whole health. The services she offers are Acupuncturist, Reflexology, Holistic Nutrition, Reiki, and part of the wellness programs she offers Herbal Supplements are available.
With close to twenty years experience in the natural health field from being behind the scenes working in natural health products distribution to working one on one with clients, Victoria Pumphrey Acupuncture is happy to be serving clients in the greater Parry Sound area.
Perfectly Pampered Spa at 13 Miller St., Parry Sound Monday to Wednesday
To order your herbal supplements today click here then click the middle "More Info Tab"
Acupuncture, Reflexology and TCM In Parry Sound, ON