Massage Therapy Home Exercises For Seniors
Don't forget to do your homework, before and after a massage therapy session!
What can I bring home with me, after receiving a massage therapy treatment? Here are some easy exercises seniors can do at home to build on their massage:
Simple neck, shoulder and legs stretches can be quite beneficial post massage and during massage treatments.
Some examples are as follows:
- Head Roll- Roll the head from one side to the other. Holding the stretch for 20 - 30 seconds when reaching either shoulder.
- Shoulder To Ear Stretch- Bringing the ear to the shoulder and lightly pressing down on the head to hold for 20 - 30 seconds. To intensify this stretch, turn the head so the nose is facing the armpit.
- Arm Stretch- Stretching one arm across the body and holding with the opposite hand on the wrist for 20 - 30 seconds.
- Tricep Stretch- Raising one arm above the head, bending at the elbow so that the fingertips touch the base of the neck or top on the back and using the other hand to lightly add pressure to the elbow, for a triceps stretch.
- Toe Touch- Depending on the flexibility, challenging oneself to touch the toes in a standing position is great for the upper back or the legs and even lower back.
- Calf Stretch- Calf stretches are good to relieve any calf cramping after a nights sleep or long walk. With shoes on, use the wall to flex the foot and place the heel on the floor, pressing the ball/bottom of the foot on the wall and lean into the stretch, holding for 20 - 30 seconds.
Maria Murchie, RMT, resident of Hamilton, Ontario, always knew she wanted to be in the health field, however at a young age she learned that she had a blood phobia, so she was forced to rethink her nursing career. Massage seemed to be a hemoglobin free alternative and it has been for the last 6 years.
A graduate of the Canadian Therapeutic College 2004, and a member of the Canadian Massage Therapists of Ontario since 2005, Maria enjoys finding new therapies and new places to travel, to become more educated in the massage therapy field. Just recently Maria travelled to St. Petersburg, Florida to educate herself on the BAMBOO FUSION massage, and is excited to bring this latest therapy to her clients in Canada.
Call 905-308-1646 to schedule an appointment.